Fresh at home
We don’t want to give a science lesson, but there are a few things worth considering so as to preserve the flavour of your Hands-On coffee. Most importantly, we strongly recommend buying whole beans and grinding them yourself. Beans hold their flavour much longer than ground coffee – nothing compares to the taste of a coffee made from freshly ground beans.
However you buy your coffee, following these tips will help maximise the freshness and therefore flavour:
- Buy enough coffee to use within about 14 days.
- Keep the coffee in its bag and remove as much air as possible by rolling down the top. Then seal tightly using the tin-tie.
- Store your bagged coffee in an airtight container away from heat, light and moisture (coffees worst enemies). It’s best to avoid the cupboard directly above the kettle, but a cool kitchen cupboard is ideal.
- Don’t store your coffee near your onions, herbs, spices or herbal teas – unless you like those flavours in your coffee.
- Unlike some, we don’t think you should store your coffee in the freezer or the fridge. The moisture caused by condensation when taking in and out affects the freshness and flavour.
- Grind the beans immediately before use, and always grind just enough for what you need.